September 1998, Ocean Beach, San Francisco, CA
For years these photos (which I took) were publicly visible only on Lilly's web site. Shame on me. Moreover, I'm stealing most of her captions.
1. Find a sandy beach. As the morning high tide is going
out, pick a good spot and mark the high tide point.
2. Dig a moat. Pile sand in the center for constructing
3. Carve out the cathedral with grand towers and spires.
4. Make some houses below for the working folk. Give some
lucky family a cute dovecote.
5. Build a wall (fortified!).
6. Don't forget to gaze at the sunset. Crowds have been
gathering to view your marvelous creation.
7. Place candles all around. Careful, 'cause the wind can
blow them out.
8. Me, with fire.
9. Wait patiently and calmly as the tide comes in and washes much
of your creation out to sea.
All pictures taken with a Ricoh GR1 (a tiny point-and-shoot 35mm film camera).